Drunk driving is a problem across the US, but it’s also a significant problem right here in our own backyard. Thousands of motorists are arrested and charged with driving under the influence in Illinois each year, and some places are hotbeds for intoxicated driving. Thanks to a report from the Alliance Against Intoxicated Motorists, we can see which cities were home to the largest number of drunk drivers in 2018. We dive into the report below.
Illinois Cities With The Most DUIs
Before we dive into the list and some other statistics from the findings, it’s worth noting that for the sake of this poll, Chicago was considered in its own category due to its size. It would have came in as the runaway top spot on this list, but for the sake of providing a closer look drunk driving in some of the smaller cities throughout the state, we’re not putting it in this list. So without further ado, here’s a look at the 10 Illinois cities with the most DUIs in 2018.
- Rockford – 552 arrests
- Aurora – 446 arrests
- Decatur – 391 arrests
- Elgin – 374 arrests
- Cicero – 315 arrests
- Carol Stream – 280 arrests
- Elmhurst – 277 arrests
- Lombard – 277 arrests
- Naperville – 261 arrests
- Bloomington – 244 arrests
Here’s a look at some other interesting findings from the report:
- Of cities with at least 200 DUI arrests, Lombard led the way in terms of arrests per officer, coming in at 5.49 DUI arrests per officer.
- The second highest rate of DUI arrests per officer was in Fairview Heights, with 4.98 arrests per officer.
- Illinois State Trooper Lucas Sniady had the most DUI arrests in 2018 with 192 arrests.
- In 2018, Chicago had 1,840 DUI arrests and state police had 5,038 arrests.
- The most DUI arrests were in Cook County (381), followed by Winnebago County (361), DeKalb County (283), McLean County (281) and McHenry County.
Defending clients against drunk driving charges is one of our specialties at Appelman Lawyers, and although we hope you never need to call us, we’re happy to help if you do. As you can see by the data, there are plenty of citizens who end up facing drunk driving charges in Illinois every day. Many of them don’t know where to turn or how to move forward with the situation. It’s completely normal to not know what to do following an arrest, but don’t let that lack of experience lead you down a hole you can’t climb out of.
Naperville DUI Lawyers
If you or someone you know has been arrested for drunk driving, give us a call at (630) 717-7801. We offer a free case evaluation where we’ll go over your arrest details and walk you through all your options. If you think we’re the best option for handling your case, we’ll take over from there and do everything in our power to get you the best results. For more information or to set up that first free meeting, contact our office today.