Criminal lawsuits get all the headlines, but civil lawsuits are also quite common in today’s society. When two or more parties have a legal dispute that they want to take to court, they pursue a civil lawsuit, oftentimes with the help of a civil lawsuit attorney. At Appelman Law we have civil litigation experience and have won a wide variety of civil lawsuits for our clients. In today’s blog, we take a closer look at some of the more common types of civil lawsuits, and we explain how we can help you if you’re interested in pursuing a civil case against someone or some entity.
Common Civil Lawsuits in Illinois
Civil lawsuits typically involve someone attempting to collect monetary compensation or property, but they can certainly center around other areas of interest. Here’s a look at a number of common civil lawsuits that may be filed:
- Personal Injury Claims – If you were bitten by someone’s dog or injured on their property, you may be able to take civil action against them for your injuries.
- Asset Forfeiture – If police or a government body seizes your property, you can take legal action to try and get your property returned through a civil suit.
- Breach of Contract – If someone failed to live up to a signed agreement, you can take them to civil court.
- Landlord-Tenant Disputes – Similar to a breach of contract dispute, civil cases can also help resolve disputes between landlords and tenants.
- Employment-Related Issues – If you believe you were wrongfully terminated, or you were subjected to harassment in the workplace, you may want to consider taking civil action.
- Tort Claims – A tort claim is considered a claim of reparation for a wrongful act by another party. You can file a tort claim in civil court for things like battery, medical malpractice, defamation or other instances where you have been wronged by another person.
- Copyright or IP Claims – Civil cases can help settle copyright claims or cases where intellectual property rights are being disputed.
This is far from a comprehensive list, but it helps to highlight the wide variety of cases that can be settled in civil court. Brett and his team have handled countless civil cases and have a proven track record of success, so if you’re even considering taking legal action against another party, do yourself a favor and reach out to their experienced team. They’d be more than happy to sit down with you, go over the basics of your case, and explain what they’d do for you if you wanted to hire their firm to assist with your case. To set up that meeting, or to move forward with a civil case in Illinois, reach out to Appelman Law at (630) 717-7801.